Follow at #UIM2021Virtual
What does the course focus on?
The course provides a comprehensive update on major advances in internal medicine as well as a review of various medical-and surgical-related topics impacting daily practice from a panel of nationally recognized faculty. Participants also receive updates on disease practice activities. Emphasis is placed on evidence-based approaches to practical and innovative healthcare delivery, including care pathways that emphasize key elements in the diagnosis and management of various diseases. The course fosters the cooperation, coordination, and collaboration of professionals of different medical specialties in delivering cost-effective, patient-centered care.
Who can participate in the course?
General internists, family practitioners, advanced practice providers, physician assistants, nurses/nurse practitioners, pharmacists, and other healthcare professionals. We also encourage residents, fellows and medical/pharmacy students to attend.
Why is the course going to be held virtually rather than in-person?
Due to the ongoing uncertainty around COVID19 requirements, and attendee feedback, the Department of Medicine has made the decision to offer this course virtually this year. Our goal for the virtual event is to continue to offer our participants a safe environment to obtain a comprehensive update on the major advances in internal medicine, while earning continuing education credits and learning from highly regarded clinicians, educators, and researchers.
Is attending the course virtually the only option?
When is UIM 2021 Virtual?
The virtual course will take place on October 21-22, 2021. Technical support and exhibits will begin at 7:00am on both days, with the course beginning at 8:00am and ending at 5:00pm on both days.
Do I need to register?
Yes, we are asking everyone to register who is going to attend the course. The virtual platform is linked to individual attendee e-mail addresses, so each person wanting to participate will need to be added to the platform to receive their unique log-in link attached to their registration.
How do I register?
Registration for the virtual conference is open.
You can register for the conference here: https://cce.upmc.com/update-internal-medicine-2021#group-tabs-node-course-default1
How much does it cost to attend the course?
Early Bird Registration (Ends on September 9 @ 5:00pm):
• MDs and DOs: $245
• PharmDs, APPs, Nurses, PAs and Other Healthcare Professionals: $145
• 1st Year Practicing MDs, DOs, PharmDs, APPs, Nurses and PAs: Fee Waived
• Residents, Fellows and Medical/Pharmacy Students: Fee Waived
Regular Registration (Ends on October 14 @ 12:00pm):
• MDs and DOs: $270
• PharmDs, APPs, Nurses, PAs and Other Healthcare Professionals: $170
• 1st Year Practicing MDs, DOs, PharmDs, APPs, Nurses and PAs: Fee Waived
• Residents, Fellows and Medical/Pharmacy Students: Fee Waived
What is your cancellation policy?
Registration cancellations must be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Wednesday, October 6, 2021, by 11:59 pm. No telephone cancellations will be accepted. Refunds will be issued in the form of the original payment method. No refunds will be issued, for any reason, after Wednesday, October 6, 2021, at 11:59 pm.
Virtual Platform Information
What is a virtual conference?
A virtual event is essentially an event that you can attend from the comfort and convenience of your home, office, or wherever else you can think of, through your personal laptop or desktop computer.
What virtual platform will you be using?
We will be using the Pathable platform. It is a microsite and desktop application which will contain all the content, attendee/speaker/virtual exhibitor information, and communications you will need to fully experience all components of the virtual event. You will access the site from your desktop or laptop computer with a login and password.
What system requirements and technology will I need to attend?
- Desktop or Laptop Computer with Webcam, Microphone and Speakers
- Google Chrome Web Browser
- Zoom Video Conferencing – Download “Zoom Client for Meetings” to your computer here: https://zoom.us/download
Can I remote into my work computer to access the course?
You should not access the course via a remote computer connection. To participate in the live Zoom room agenda items, you must join with a computer that allows you to enable the camera and microphone. Remoting in will not allow for this option.
The virtual platform will offer attendees the following exciting features; the ability to:
- Edit your profile and view the profiles of attendees, speakers, and exhibitors;
- Follow a pre-set agenda or build a personalized agenda;
- Engage in multiple ways with speakers and other attendees;
- Access session slides and handouts;
- Visit virtual exhibitor booths;
- Engage in multiple ways with exhibitors – including, connecting live through 1:1 Talk Now or Call Now Zoom video calling
- Earn points by participating in various activities – those with the most points will be entered into a drawing to receive one of many prizes; and
- Access the platform and sessions, and submit for continuing education credits, for up to 30 days after the course. This option is only available to registered attendees.
How do I access the course on the day of the event?
A couple of days before the course, a unique sign-in link will be sent to all attendees to the email address they used to register. The email will come from email@example.com and will include a button that says “Click Here to Sign In Now!” Upon clicking the link, you will claim your account by creating a password, agreeing to the terms and conditions, and completing your profile. You will use the same login information to access the course on both days.
If I have technical problems with the site, is there someone I can contact?
Yes! If you need assistance on the day of, click the ‘Help’ menu item and your email will open to send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will respond as quickly as possible.
Why screen seems to be frozen, what should I do?
If your screen is frozen, simply click the refresh button in the top left of your browser.
Attending the Course - Agenda and Sessions
Do you have training documents to walk me through the set up and features of the course?
Yes! Upon logging into the course, proceed to Schedule > Full Schedule. Click on the ‘Quick Start Guide’ session item for a brief training video and links to the Quick Start Guide and FAQ documents.
Where do I view the schedule for the conference?
Once you are logged into Pathable website, you will be able to view the schedule under Schedule > Full Schedule
Is the course live or pre-recorded?
Most of the course is pre-recorded. Except for one session, all sessions, including the Medicine Made Ridiculously Simple sessions, are pre-recorded videos that become available at the time designated on the agenda. The only live session, a panel discussion, will take place on Friday, October 22, from 9:25-10:25am.
There are some additional live aspects of the course, which include: optional live Q&A chats with speakers immediately following their session, break-time video chats, and 1:1 Talk Now video calls with exhibitors. All the live aspects require you to have Zoom downloaded on your computer, and your camera and microphone enabled, to participate.
Do I have to pick which sessions I plan to attend prior to the course?
No. With your registration, you may attend any sessions you wish. However, if you would like to build your individual schedule, you may do so by clicking the “+” in the upper right-hand corner of any agenda item you plan to attend.
I am on the screen for the upcoming session on the agenda, but I do not see the presentation on my screen. What do I do?
Sessions do not start until the time listed on the agenda. At the assigned time, the timer in the upper right-hand corner will disappear and you will see an orange “Join Meeting” button. Click the button and the pre-recorded video, or live panel session, will appear to the left of the chat box. If the session is pre-recorded, you will have to click “play” on the lower left of the video to begin the recording.
If I have a question for the speaker during a session, how do I ask it?
Once the session begins, you will be able to submit questions directly to the speakers through the chat function on the right side of the screen. For pre-recorded sessions, speakers will be logged into Pathable during their scheduled session and will answer questions via the chat function throughout the playing of the entire pre-recorded video. For the live panel session, the moderator will read the submitted questions aloud to the panelists at the appropriate time during the discussion.
Can I ask speakers a question face-to-face?
Yes! Except for the live panel session and the Medicine Made Ridiculously Simple sessions, all other sessions will have an optional live chat Q&A immediately following the end of the video. If you would like to participate, simply click on the session, and click “Join Meeting” once the countdown clock hits zero. After clicking, a Zoom room will open on your computer and you will be able to engage with the speaker face-to-face. The speaker will not be in this room before the scheduled time on the agenda item.
You will need to have Zoom downloaded on your computer, and your camera and microphone enabled, to participate in the optional Q&A live chat since it uses the Zoom app on your personal computer to launch. Please Note: Speakers and course directors may not be available outside of their assigned times on the agenda.
Will it be possible to watch the sessions after the days of the conference? I plan to register but am unable to take time off for 2 working days.
Yes! If you cannot attend all or some of the sessions, they will be available until 11:59pm on Sunday, November 21, 2021. Until then, you will have the ability to log into the platform to view all the sessions and submit for continuing education credits through the UPMC Center for Continuing Education in the Health Sciences. Please Note: This option is only available to registered attendees.
Attending the Course - Exhibit Booths, Networking and Raffle
Will you have virtual exhibit booths?
Yes! You can visit our virtual exhibitors by clicking on the “Exhibit Hall” tab in the teal menu bar. Exhibitor booths will be available October 21 and 22 from 7:00am-5:00pm. During this time, you can view booths and materials, connect live with an exhibitor through 1:1 Talk Now or Call Now Zoom video calling, request information by leaving your card, post a message to their conversation chat box, etc.
Can I interact with exhibitors during the course?
Yes! You can interact with exhibitors by:
• Connecting live with an exhibitor through 1:1 Talk Now or Call Now Zoom video calling;
• Sending them a private message directly in Pathable. To do so, click the Networking tab in the teal menu bar > click Private Message > click New Conversation; and
• Engaging via the conversation chat box on the right side of their booth.
In the exhibitor booth, what is the difference between Talk Now and Call Now?
• Talk Now: Attendees can click this button and their call will be directed to the first available staff member, in a round robin distribution fashion. Available staff members are indicated by a green check mark over their picture. This option is only available during scheduled exhibit hall hours as noted on the agenda.
• Call Now: Attendees can direct call a selected staff member. Available staff members are indicated by a green check mark over their picture. If the staff member misses the call, they will receive a personal notification with the details of the missed call. This option is only available during scheduled exhibit hall hours as noted on the agenda.
Can I interact with other attendees during the course?
Yes! You can interact with other attendees by:
• Joining the Attendee Networking video chat during the break times on the agenda;
• Sending them a private message directly in Pathable. To do so, click the Networking tab in the teal menu bar > click Private Message > click New Conversation;
• Engaging via public events forums. To access, click the Networking tab in the teal menu bar > click Public Forum > click New Conversation to start a new forum, or reply/post to an already active forum.
Please Note: Speakers and course directors may not be available outside of their assigned times on the agenda
How does the raffle work?
Attendees can earn points by visiting our exhibitors and participating in certain activities throughout the two days. At the end of the course, anyone with a certain number of points will be entered into a raffle to win one of many prizes. Points can be earned from 7:00am on October 21 until 5:00pm on October 22.
What activities qualify for points?
- • Join a Talk Now or Call Now Session with an Exhibitor
- • Leave Your Card with an Exhibitor
When will I be notified if I am one of the raffle winners?
Raffle winners will be contacted in the week following the last day of the course.
Can I earn continuing education credits for attending?
Yes, we do provide continuing education credits!
How many continuing education credits can I earn?
Please visit our CME Information page for more information: https://dom.pitt.edu/uim/cme/.
How do I claim credit for attending this live course?
The UPMC Center for Continuing Education in the Health Sciences (CCEHS) manages continuing education credits for this course. Please follow this link: https://cce.upmc.com/FAQ/claim_credit for instructions on how to claim credit.
Who do I contact if I have additional questions about claiming continuing education credits?
Please contact the CCEHS office at CCEHS_Support@upmc.edu or 412-647-8232.