Geriatric Medicine Fellowship Program
Why Train in Geriatrics at UPMC?
- Health System and University Excellence:
- US News and World Report ranks our Geriatrics program among the nation’s top for decades
- S. News & World Reportranks UPMC Health System among the top for decades
- UPMC’s Health Plan is one of a handful to be rated as “five-stars” by CMS/Medicare.
- University of Pittsburgh ranks #5 nationally in research and even better in aging research
- Faculty: More than two dozen outstanding faculty, all trained at America’s best universities
- 15 included in The Best Doctors in America
- Half have postdoctoral degrees; many also trained in complementary subspecialties.
- Many are renowned for their care and/or research in areas ranging from geroscience to geriatric subspecialties and syndromes, medications, and health care models.
- Scale, Scope, and Quality of Clinical Training Sites
- UPMC is the nation’s largest integrated academic health system. It encompasses ~40 academic, community, and specialty hospitals; thousands of physicians; and an insurance division with 3.5 million members (175,000 >65 years old).
- UPMC Home Health conducts over 1 million home visits annually.
- UPMC has four Program for All-Inclusive Care of the Elderly (PACE) sites. It also owns or helps manage more than two dozen nursing facilities, and collaborates with another 75.
- In addition, our program is integrated with the University’s nationally-renown geriatric psychiatry program as well as the adjacent Pittsburgh VA, a base for our prestigious Geriatric Research Education and Clinical Center of Excellence (GRECC).
- Innovation:Delivering state-of-the-art care is critical to our mission, but so is devising and evaluating new care models for every setting. Thus, the Division:
- Created one of the nation’s first geriatric Patient-Centered Medical Homes
- “Geriatricized” an entire general hospital, making it better for seniors (and, in turn, everyone)
- Developed a new model of home-based long term care (Staying at Home) for those whose conditions require chronic attention that Medicare’s Home Health model can’t provide
- Transformed skilled nursing facility care to improve quality and reduce readmissions.
Each effort was funded both by UPMC and peer-reviewed grants, including two $20 million awards from the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation, and launch of a startup company.
- Academic Training: If you want an academic career, we have the resources to support advanced training and mentorship and thereby facilitate a smooth transition to independence.
Division of Geriatric Medicine
Academic Administrative Office
Kaufmann Medical Building, Suite 500
3471 Fifth Ave
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Benedum Geriatric Center
Senior Care Institute