Section of Hospital Medicine
Academic Hospital Medicine
- 7 traditional teaching teams, with the attending physician leading a team of one resident, two interns, an acting intern, and two third-year medical students
- Attending physicians conduct daily teaching rounds in the afternoon and twice a week bedside rounds with their team
- The educational goal is to develop residents with strong clinical, management, teaching and leadership skills
- Residents work independently under close supervision, leading daily multidisciplinary and care coordination rounds
Junior Hospitalist Service
- One attending physician leads a team of 3 second year residents
- The educational goal is to strengthen the clinical, management, and efficiency skills of our residents.
- Daily teaching sessions centered around hospital medicine topics
- Hospitalist Attending physicians see patients independently
- 2 teams that cover all patients not admitted to the main medical floors
- A 17-bed unit that admits all patients in observation status
- The team consists of 1 hospitalist and 1 Allied Healthcare Provider (CRNP).
- Our goal is to maximize efficiency through utilization of pathways and an evidence-based medicine standardized approach.
- 2 consult teams that provide 24/7 preoperative clearances for all surgical patients
- Management of all medical conditions for the patients admitted to non-medical services
- Co-management programs that enhance efficiency and quality of the patient’s discharge
Division of General Internal Medicine Academic Offices
UPMC Montefiore Hospital
Pittsburgh, PA 15213