Archived Newsletter: January 2017
Distinguished Service Professor
Robert Arnold, MD, was recently appointed Distinguished Service Professor by the University of Pittsburgh. This is in recognition of his distinctive contributions and outstanding service to the University community in support of its missions, as well as performance excellence and national stature in his field.
Dr. Arnold joined the Division of General Internal Medicine in 1988 and started the palliative care program in 1997. He is currently the Director of the Institute for Doctor-Patient Communication and Medical Director of the UPMC Palliative and Supportive Institute, where he works to develop system-wide, integrative palliative services throughout the UPMC health system. Dr. Arnold holds the Leo H. Creip Chair of Patient Care which emphasizes the importance of the doctor-patient relationship, particularly at the end of life.
Dr. Arnold has published hundreds of papers on ethical issues involving end-of-life care, doctor-patient communication and hospice and palliative care issues. His current research interests are focused on educational interventions to improve communication in life-limiting illnesses and better understanding how ethical precepts are operationalized in clinical practice.
UPMC Endowed Chair in General Internal Medicine
Bruce L. Rollman, MD, MPH, Professor of Medicine, Psychiatry, Biomedical Informatics, and Clinical and Translational Science and Director of the Center for Behavioral Health and Smart Technology, has been honored with the UPMC Endowed Chair in General Internal Medicine.
Dr. Rollman joined the Division of General Internal Medicine in July 1995 following the completion of a fellowship in General Internal Medicine at Johns Hopkins University. His research focuses on developing novel interventions to treat depression and anxiety disorders in non-psychiatric settings, and he has been principal investigator on six NIH-funded R01 clinical trials including the Online Treatment for Mood and Anxiety Disorders Trial, which evaluated the impact of incorporating a computerized cognitive behavioral therapy program and Internet support group into a collaborative care intervention, as well as the Hopeful Heart Trial, which is presently testing the effectiveness of a “blended” collaborative care model for treating heart failure and depression simultaneously.
Last year, with support from the Department of Medicine and UPMC, Dr. Rollman launched the cross-disciplinary Center for Behavioral Health and Smart Technology, the goals of which are to: (1) link faculty and staff across the Schools of the Health Sciences, UPMC, Carnegie Mellon University, foundations, and the local entrepreneurial community to promote new collaborations; and (2) support the next generation of innovators who will create, test, and disseminate scalable solutions for some of the most common, challenging, and costly behavioral health problems at the intersection of clinical medicine, health services research, and computer science. On November 10 to 11, the Center hosted its 2nd Health Technology Conference in conjunction with the Joseph M. Katz Graduate School of Business.
Awards for Commitment and Excellence in Service (ACES)
Congratulations to Jodie Bryk, MD, and Haylee Shacklock, MHA, who are recipients of the 2016 UPMC Awards for Commitment and Excellence in Service (ACES). They are two out of only 251 employees chosen system wide for this honor. A celebration was held for all ACES recipients on October 22, 2016.
Birmingham Free Clinic Receives Award from Allegheny County Medical Society
The Birmingham Free Clinic was recently selected as the recipient of the 2016 Benjamin Rush Community Organization Award from the Allegheny County Medical Society. The Birmingham Free Clinic, located on the South Side of Pittsburgh and operated by the DGIM-sponsored Program for Health Care to Underserved Populations (PHCUP), has been providing medical services to uninsured and medically indigent patients since 1994.
Originally opened in a small space provided by the Salvation Army, which has been a partner with the clinic since its establishment, the clinic was moved in December 2008 to a renovated larger building donated by the Salvation Army. The move to a new facility allowed for private interview rooms for intake purposes, new private exam rooms, and the expansion of the pharmacy. Over the years the Clinic has added specialty clinics such as Cardiology and Mental Health.
The Birmingham Free Clinic is supported by volunteers, the Division of General Internal Medicine, and donations, contributions, and fundraisers, many of which have been sponsored by Pitt Medical and undergraduate students. Just last year, the clinic saw more than 1,100 patients for nearly 2,500 visits, and facilitated nearly $400K worth of free prescriptions.
The clinic, along with all the other winners of awards from the Allegheny County Medical Society Foundation, will be recognized at a gala in March 2017 held at Heinz Field.
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine (UPSOM) Annual Teaching Awards
The University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine (UPSOM) gave out their Annual Teaching Awards on November 29, 2016, with several physicians from the Division of General Internal Medicine being recognized:
Alda Maria Gonzaga, MD, MS, received the Donald S. Fraley Award for Medical Student Mentoring, which recognizes individuals who made outstanding contributions to medical education through their service as mentors to medical students.
Robert C. Brook, MD, PhD, was honored with the Clerkship Preceptor of the Year Award, which recognizes faculty clinical preceptors who consistently provide outstanding clinical instruction in the clerkship setting.
Anna K. Donovan, MD, MS, was a recipient of the Clinical Educator of the Year Award, which honors faculty who consistently provide outstanding clinical education in a third or fourth year elective course setting.
Eva Reitschuler-Cross, MD, and Scott Herrle, MD, MS, both received the William I. Cohen Award for Excellence in Clinical Skills Instruction. This award recognizes faculty who consistently provide outstanding clinical skills instruction for first and second year medical students.
Melissa McNeil, MD, MPH, was given an Award for Outstanding Mini-Elective, which recognizes faculty who volunteer their time and expertise to run a mini-elective for first and second year students. These electives provide students the opportunity to pursue areas of interest and personal growth in settings outside of the traditional core curriculum.
The following changes have occurred in the Division of General Internal Medicine: Joanne Riley, RN, MPM, who has been a steadfast force in the division for over 22 years, launching successful strategies that have led to significant growth and a national reputation across all three missions—clinical, teaching, and research—retired on October 31, 2016. Joanne led the development of the patient center medical home, the hospitalist program, expansion of research, the start-up and oversight of the ICRE, and almost every program we have started in the Division. Her energy and passion for delivery of high quality health care has allowed the Division to become a leader in delivery of primary care. Always at the epicenter of the Division, we express our sincere gratitude for the advancements she has made and wish her enjoyment and fulfillment in her retirement.
Lisa Book, RN, BSN, has been appointed as the Administrator of the Division of General Internal Medicine. Lisa joined us in February of 2016 and has been embracing all missions of our division. She returns to UPMC from her original roots as a staff nurse in Montefiore hospital. Since that time, Lisa has expanded her portfolio to include leadership roles around program development and marketing, medical sales and management, education and training, and clinical operations. She currently oversees our outpatient clinical activities in our division, including our primary care clinics in Oakland and Shadyside, our Enhanced Care Program (ECP), and the opening of our new primary care clinic in the South Hills. Lisa has also built a strong foundational understanding of our inpatient care delivery, as well as our research and teaching activities.
Wendy Romeo, MS, has been promoted to Administrator of Hospital Medicine and Palliative Care in the Division. Wendy has been with the Division of General Internal Medicine since 2008, when she supported Palliative Care and later was responsible for the administrative management of our Internal Medicine Residency Program. Over the past three years, Wendy has become entrenched in our Hospital Medicine program at UPMC Presbyterian-Montefiore, as well as UPMC Shadyside. Recently, this scope has expanded to Magee-Womens Hospital of UPMC and UPMC Mercy. In addition, Wendy has assumed administrative oversight of the section of Palliative Care in the Division.
Marie Norman, PhD, Visiting Associate Professor of Medicine, will serve as the Director of a new program, the Innovative Design for Education and Assessment (IDEA) Lab in the ICRE. The IDEA Lab will support ICRE faculty in the development of high-quality, innovative courses and training programs employing research-based learning principles, modern digital tools, and multimedia design. Dr. Norman is an on-line teaching expert and co-author of the book, How Learning Works: Seven Research-Based Principles for Smart Teaching. Her team will include Natalie Vazquez, Instructional Multimedia Designer, and Amos Glen, Instructional Designer.
Patrick Reitz, MA, Administrative Director of the Institute for Clinical Research Education (ICRE), will begin transitioning into a new role as Administrator for the Center for Research on Health Care (CRHC), taking over for Lynn Rago, who left at the end of November. Patrick will be covering both roles for several months, splitting his time between Parkvale and McKee, while ICRE leadership looks for a new Administrative Director. Patrick has been with the ICRE for 9 years, during which he made major contributions to improving the overall operations of the Institute, and expertly navigated several distinct realms of responsibility, including grants submissions, budgeting, and program development. His nearly 20 years of experience as a senior administrator for large research programs will be extremely useful for the functioning of the CRHC.
Honors and Awards
Michael Fine, MD, MSc, was selected for the 2016 Distinguished Research Mentor Award from the University of Pittsburgh Institute for Clinical Research Education.
Robert Arnold, MD, was selected as one of this year’s Pittsburgh Business Times’ Health Care Heroes award winners. The individuals and organizations selected for this honor include those who have made significant contributions to improving health care in our region.
Jill Allenbaugh, MD, Jennifer Corbelli, MD, MS, Laurie Rack, DNP, RN, NEA-BC, Rachel Palkoska, BSN, RN, and Carla Spagnoletti MD, MS, recently won 1st place for the afternoon poster session at the UPSOM Academy of Master Educators First Annual Med Ed Day held on Sept 30, 2016 with a poster entitled “’What did they say?’ Teaching health literacy and communication skills to medical service nurses to improve the patient experience.”
Adam Gordon, MD, MPH, received the University of Pittsburgh Allen Humphrey Excellence in Mentoring Award in October. This award is presented to a Dean’s Summer Research Program (DSRP) mentor who demonstrates exemplary care and commitment in all aspects of DSRP student mentoring.
Laura Tycon, CRNP, was selected as the recipient of a 2016 Hospice and Palliative Nursing Foundation’s Clinical Practice Forum Conference Scholarship award.
Larissa Myaskovsky, PhD, was selected as a National Research Mentoring Network (NRMN) fellow for Professional Mentoring Skills Enhancing Diversity (PROMISED), a leadership training program offered by the Institute for Clinical Research Education (ICRE), for mentors committed to mentoring those from diverse backgrounds.
Julie Childers, MD, has earned her designation as Fellow of the American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine (AAHPM).
Paula Leslie, PhD, will be presented with the American Speech-Language-Hearing Foundation’s Louis M. DiCarlo Award, which recognizes an individual who has made significant clinical achievement within the last six years in audiology and/or speech-language pathology.
Lauren Petty, MEd, was awarded the Marlene Cooper Scholarship for professional development from the UPMC Graduate Medical Education Office. As part of the award, she will receive funding to attend the 2017 Association of Program Directors of Internal Medicine (APDIM) Spring Conference.
Boards and Committee Service
Kaleab Abebe, PhD, has been appointed to the advisory panel on clinical trials for the Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI). The panel advises PCORI on issues pertaining to research design, implementation, and technical issues of clinical trials for patient-centered outcomes research. PCORI helps people make informed health care decisions and improves health care delivery and outcomes by producing and promoting high-integrity, evidence-based information that comes from research guided by patients, caregivers, and the broader health care community. Dr. Abebe has also been named Co-Chair of the scientific program committee for the 2017 Society for Clinical Trials Annual Conference in Liverpool, England.
Jane Schell, MD, is on the education committee for the National Kidney Foundation, and will participate in a one-day pre-course focusing on palliative care—the first of its kind—in spring 2017.
Drs. Robert Arnold, Yael Schenker, and Douglas White were appointed as members of the Carnegie Mellon University Center for Ethics and Policy.
Walid Gellad, MD, MPH, will serve on the VIReC Pharmacy Information Technical Advisory Group (RxTAG) that is updating the Pharmacy Data Research User Guide for the VA research community.
Adam Gordon, MD, MPH, was elected as a member of the management board of the International Society of Addiction Journal Editors (ISAJE).
Invited Speaker and Guest Lecture
Walid Gellad, MD, MPH, was invited to present to the national VA Primary Care Field Advisory Committee regarding his editorial in the Journal of General Internal Medicine about the Veterans Choice Act. Research led by Dr. Gellad on the safety of opioid use among Veterans receiving care in multiple health systems was featured on the national VA HSR&D website in August 2016.
Dr. Gellad was also invited to a meeting with HHS Assistant Secretary Ellen Murray in August to discuss efforts ongoing at the University of Pittsburgh to address the opioid epidemic.
Larissa Myaskovsky, PhD, senior authored a recent paper that was briefed by HSR&D to VHA leadership and was featured on the VA ORD website [“Has the Department of Veterans Affairs Found a Way to Avoid Racial Disparities in the Evaluation Process for Kidney Transplantation?” Transplantation. August 1, 2016].
Jane Schell, MD, and the UPMC MusiCare program were highlighted on KDKA news on December 2, 2016.
Research published by Walid Gellad, MD, MPH, C. Bernie Good, MD, MPH, and CHERP colleagues, which documented higher rates of unsafe prescribing among Veterans with dementia who use both VA and Medicare health care systems, caught the attention of major national news outlets, including Reuters, Medscape, and Fox News, as well as VA leadership. An accompanying editorial noted that this work “could serve as the basis for an entire medical school course on health policy” and noted its “far reaching implications for health care system design, medication prescribing, and daily clinical practice.”
A paper recently published by Walid Gellad, MD, MPH, and CHERP colleagues in Substance Abuse, describing a safety risk for Veterans dually enrolled in VA and Medicare who are receiving prescriptions for buprenorphine and overlapping prescriptions for opioids and/or benzodiazepines, was briefed to national VA leadership.
Reed Van Deusen, MD, was interviewed by WESA, Pittsburgh’s NPR News Station, about the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine’s Standardized Patient Program.
Promotions and Tenure
Leslie Hausmann, PhD, was promoted to Associate Professor in the Division of General Internal Medicine at the University of Pittsburgh.
Clinical Assistant Professor
Anwar Dudekula, MD, was promoted to Clinical Assistant Professor of Medicine in the School of Medicine, Department of Medicine.
Dana Fiumara has accepted the position as Administrative Assistant/Administrator I working in our Administrative office. Dana was formally the medical secretary for Firm 3 in the 9 South Clinic.
Faculty and Staff Changes
Kristin H. Kropf, MS, began in the ICRE in August 2016 in the newly created position of Program Coordinator for the Expanding National Capacity in PCOR through Training (ENACT) program. Kristin will work closely with Dr. Landsittel to develop online PCOR courses and the fellowship opportunities offered to students and trainees from six collaborating minority serving institutions. Kristin earned a BA in Communications and a Master of Science in Leadership/Education from Robert Morris University. Her professional background includes work in account management, staffing and volunteer coordination, teaching and coaching.
Lindsay Surmacz, BA, joined the ICRE in August 2016 as the new Program Coordinator for two training programs, Leading Emerging and Diverse Scientists to Success (LEADS), and Professional Mentoring Skills Enhancing Diversity (PROMISED). Lindsay transferred from the University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute, where she worked for two years as a project manager. Lindsay holds a BA in creative writing from Purdue University, and is currently enrolled in a certificate program in Digital Media at Pitt. She is also a graduate of Coro Pittsburgh’s Women in Leadership program.
Joseph G. Sloan, MA, has recently joined the CRHC Data Center as a qualitative researcher for the Qual EASE team. Joseph has a background in research, teaching, and web development. He has a BA and MA in Anthropology from California State University Fullerton, and more recently, an MA in Cultural Anthropology from the University of Pittsburgh with a certificate in Advanced East European Studies.
R. Amos Glenn, EdD, was hired in October 2016 as an Instructional Designer, joining the ICRE’s growing team devoted to developing innovative curricula with an emphasis on using online technology. He will work closely with Dr. Marie Norman and the ICRE’s teaching faculty and degree program leadership. Amos has over 15 years of experience in the field of education and online learning, and transferred to Pitt from Carnegie Mellon where he worked as a Learning Engineer with faculty in multiple departments. He earned his Doctor of Education degree from Duquesne University, and also holds a Master of Divinity degree from Bryn Athyn College.
Ethan Lennox, MA, joined the Division of General Internal Medicine as its new Medical Editor and Writer in November 2016. Ethan will assist in writing and editing reports, grant applications, web content, and other informational materials for the Division. He also will be available to edit research manuscripts in preparation for publication. Ethan transferred from the Department of Critical Care Medicine, where he was employed for two years as the department’s Communications Coordinator. He also has experience as a freelance writer. Ethan earned his Master of Arts in English from Duquesne University.
Nicole Pope, MPH, joined the Division of General Internal Medicine, Section of Palliative Care and Medical Ethics, as the Study Coordinator for the CONNECT Study (Schenker, PI).
Caroline Sefcik joined the Division of General Internal Medicine, Section of Palliative Care and Medical Ethics, as a Research Assistant for the CONNECT Study (Schenker, PI).
Christine Chavlick is the new administrative assistant in the Section of Palliative Care and Medical Ethics.
Alicia Kollar, CRNP, and Shannon Joy, CRNP, joined the Supportive and Palliative Care services in October 2016.
Pam Abels is the new Administrative Assistant in the Palliative Care Education Program. She joined us in October 2016.
Aaron Teague joined the Division of General Internal Medicine as the new Music Therapist.
Dan Leger, RN, Associate Clinical Chaplain has joined us as the new Spiritual Coordinator
Annette Sampson is the Fellowship Coordinator for the Hospice and Palliative Care Program as well as for General Internal Medicine. Previously, Annette worked for 3 years as a Privileging Secretary for West Penn Allegheny Health System and 10 years as a Purchasing Coordinator at Magee Women’s Research Institute.
Jackie Holmes joined the Division of General Internal Medicine as a medical secretary for Firm 3. Jackie worked at UPMC Hamot in Erie prior to joining us.
Carolina Acero joined the Internal Medicine team at our Shadyside location as the coordinator for the Medicine portion of the CAMPC Clerkship for Pitt medical students. She also supports the Internal Medicine Clerkship and Electives at SHY for medical students. Carolina has a background in teaching and program coordination.
Kristin Santoro is the new Academic Support Coordinator within the Residency Education Office. Kristin manages the MedHub evaluations and supports the Internal Medicine Residency Program Director for the Division of General Internal Medicine in Oakland. Kristin is from the Pittsburgh area and has a background in elementary education. She is also a certified yoga instructor.
Pauline Zorosak has joined our education office as the new Coordinator for the UPMC Medical Education Transitional Year Residency Program, as well as the Internal Medicine/Pediatrics Residency Training Program. Previously, Pauline was employed at Magee-Womens Hospital of UPMC as a Medical Genetics Fellowship Coordinator.
Tia Gore, BS, resigned in September 2016 as the Division’s Medical Writer & Editor.
Grants and Funding
Subject: Primary palliative care for patients with advanced hematologic malignancies
Principal Investigator: Yael Schenker, MD, MAS
Sponsor: American Cancer Society
Purpose of Grant: To develop and pilot test a nurse-led primary palliative care intervention for patients with advanced blood cancers.
Subject: A cluster randomized trial of a primary palliative care intervention (CONNECT) for patients with advanced cancer
Principal Investigator: Yael Schenker, MD, MAS
Purpose of Grant: The objective of this proposal is to conduct a cluster randomized trial among 672 patients with advanced cancer and their caregivers receiving care at 16 community oncology clinics, assessing the impact of the CONNECT intervention on patient and caregiver 3-month outcomes and health care utilization.
Subject: Supplemental Analyses for Examining Contraceptive Use and Unmet Need Among Women Veterans (ECUUN) Study
Principal Investigator: Sonya Borrero, MD, MS
Sponsor: VA Women’s Health Services
Purpose of Grant: This project will support additional analyses of ECUUN data requested by VA Women’s Health Services to inform reproductive health care quality improvement in the VA Healthcare System.
Subject: Enhancing the Access and Quality of Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT) for
Individuals with Opioid Use Disorder (OUD) in Rural Pennsylvania’s Medicaid Primary Care
Principal Investigator: Walid Gellad, MD, MPH, and Adam Gordon, MD, MPH
Purpose of Grant: For the Commonwealth of PA to focus on implementation and evaluation of medically assisted treatment for opioid addiction (buprenorphine, naltrexone, naloxone) in rural primary care practices.
- Aiken AR, Borrero S, Callegari LS, Dehlendorf C. Rethinking the pregnancy planning paradigm: unintended conceptions or unrepresentative concepts? Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health. 2016 Sep;48(3):147-51.
- Akers AY, Cohen ED, Marshal MP, Roebuck G, Yu L, Hipwell AE. Objective and Perceived Weight: Associations with Risky Adolescent Sexual Behavior. Perspect Sex Reprod Health. 2016 Sep;48(3):129-37.
- Altawalbeh SM, Thorpe JM, Thorpe CT, Smith KJ. Cost-utility analysis of long-acting beta agonists versus leukotriene receptor antagonists in older adults with persistent asthma receiving concomitant inhaled corticosteroid therapy. Value in Health. 2016 Jul-Aug;19(5):537-43.
- Apostolova MH, Seaman CD, Comer DM, Yabes JG, Ragni MV. Prevalence and Risk Factors Associated With Hypertension in von Willebrand Disease. Clin Appl Thromb Hemost. 2016 Sep 21. [Epub ahead of print]
- Aspinall SL, Sales MM, Good CB, Calabrese V, Glassman PA, Burk M, Moore VR, Neuhauser MM, Golterman L, Ourth H, Valentino MA, Cunningham FE. Pharmacy benefits management in the Veterans Health Administration revisited: a decade of advancements, 2004-2014. Journal of Managed Care & Specialty Pharmacy. 2016 Sep 1;22(9):1058-63.
- Banerjee G, Edelman EJ, Barry DT, Becker WC, Cerdá M, Crystal S, Gaither JR, Gordon AJ, Gordon KS, Kerns RD, Martins SS, Fiellin DA, Marshall BD. Non-medical use of prescription opioids is associated with heroin initiation among US Veterans: a prospective cohort study. Addiction. 2016 Nov;111(11):2021-2031.
- Barbash IJ, Le TQ, Pike F, Barnato AE, Angus DC, Kahn JM. The Effect of Intensive Care Unit Admission Patterns on Mortality-based Critical Care Performance Measures. Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2016 Jun;13(6):877-86.
- Barbash IJ, Zhang H, Angus DC, Reis SE, Chang CH, Pike FR, Kahn JM. Differences in Hospital Risk-standardized Mortality Rates for Acute Myocardial Infarction When Assessed Using Transferred and Nontransferred Patients. Med Care. 2016 Dec 20. [Epub ahead of print]
- Bornemann K, Croswell E, Abaye M, Bryce CL, Chang CH, Good DS, Freehling Heiles CA, Dew MA, Boulware LE, Tevar AD, Myaskovsky L. Protocol of the KTFT-TALK study to reduce racial disparities in kidney transplant evaluation and living donor kidney transplantation. Contemp Clin Trials. 2016 Dec 5;53:52-59.
- Brook JS, Zhang C, Rubenstone E, Primack BA, Brook DW. Comorbid trajectories of substance use as predictors of Antisocial Personality Disorder, Major Depressive Episode, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder. Addict Behav. 2016 Nov;62:114-21.
- Brown EA, Bekker HL, Davison SN, Koffman J, Schell JO. Supportive Care: Communication Strategies to Improve Cultural Competence in Shared Decision Making. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2016 Aug 10.
- Callegari LS, Aiken AR, Dehlendorf C, Cason P, Borrero S. Addressing potential pitfalls of reproductive life planning with patient-centered counseling. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2016 Oct 21. [Epub ahead of print]
- Cherukuri A, Salama AD, Carter CR, Landsittel D, Arumugakani G, Clark B, Rothstein DM, Baker RJ. Reduced human transitional B cell T1/T2 ratio is associated with subsequent deterioration in renal allograft function. Kidney Int. 2016 Oct 28. [Epub ahead of print]
- Chidi AP, Bryce CL, Donohue J, Fine MJ, Landsittel D, Myaskovsky L, Rogal S, Switzer G, Tsung A, Smith KJ. Economic and public health impacts of policies restricting access to hepatitis C treatment for Medicaid patients. Value Health. 2016 Jun;19(4):326-34.
- Chung T, Ye F, Hipwell AE, Stepp SD, Miller E, Borrero S, Hawk M. Alcohol and marijuana use in pathways of risk for sexually transmitted infection in white and black adolescent females. Substance Abuse. 2016 Nov 29.
- Cochran G, Gordon AJ, Lo-Ciganic WH, Gellad WF, Frazier W, Lobo C, Chang CH, Zheng P, Donohue JM. An examination of claims-based predictors of overdose from a large Medicaid program. Med Care. 2016 Dec 15. [Epub ahead of print]
- Cohen RA, Jackson VA, Norwich D, Schell JO, Schaefer K, Ship AN, Sullivan AM. A Nephrology Fellows’ Communication Skills Course: An Educational Quality Improvement Report. Am J Kidney Dis. 2016 Aug;68(2):203-11.
- Colicchia LC, Holland CL, Tarr JA, Rubio DM, Rothenberger SD, Chang JC. Patient-Health Care Provider Conversations About Prenatal Genetic Screening: Recommendation or Personal Choice. Obstet Gynecol. 2016 Jun;127(6):1145-52.
- Cunningham FE, Hur K, Dong D, Miller DR, Zhang R, Wei X, McCarren M, Mosholder AD, Graham DJ, Aspinall SL, Good CB. A comparison of neuropsychiatric adverse events during early treatment with varenicline or a nicotine patch. Addiction. 2016 Jul;111(7):1283-92.
- Davison J, Schenker Y, Donovan H, Rosenzweig M. A work sampling assessment of the nursing delivery of palliative care in ambulatory cancer centers. Clinical Journal of Oncology Nursing. 2016 Aug 1;20(4):421-6. PMID: 27441515.
- Deveney T, Belnap BH, Mazumdar S, Rollman BL. The Prognostic Impact and Optimal Timing of the Patient Health Questionnaire Depression Screen On 4-Year Mortality Among Hospitalized Patients with Systolic Heart Failure. Gen Hosp Psych. 2016 Sep-Oct;42:9-14.
- Donovan AK, Wood GJ, Rubio DM, Day HD, Spagnoletti CL. Faculty Communication Knowledge, Attitudes, and Skills Around Chronic Non-Malignant Pain Improve with Online Training. Pain Med. 2016 Nov;17(11):1985-1992.
- Driessen J, Bonhomme A, Chang W, Nace DA, Kavalieratos D, Perera S, Handler SM. Nursing Home Provider Perceptions of Telemedicine for Reducing Potentially Avoidable Hospitalizations. J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2016 Jun 1;17(6):519-24.
- Dunn MA, Josbeno DA, Schmotzer AR, Tevar AD, DiMartini AF, Landsittel DP, Delitto A. The gap between clinically assessed physical performance and objective physical activity in liver transplant candidates. Liver Transpl. 2016 Oct;22(10):1324-32.
- Dunn MA, Josbeno DA, Tevar AD, Rachakonda V, Ganesh SR, Schmotzer AR, Kallenborn EA, Behari J, Landsittel DP, DiMartini AF, Delitto A. Frailty as Tested by Gait Speed is an Independent Risk Factor for Cirrhosis Complications that Require Hospitalization. Am J Gastroenterol. 2016 Dec;111(12):1768-1775.
- Edelman EJ, Gordon KS, Tate JP, Becker WC, Bryant K, Crothers K, Gaither JR, Gibert CL, Gordon AJ, Marshall B, Rodriguez-Barradas MC, Samet JH, Skanderson M, Justice AC, Fiellin DA. The impact of prescribed opioids on CD4 cell count recovery among HIV-infected patients newly initiating antiretroviral therapy. HIV Med. 2016 Nov;17(10):728-739.
- Espey E, Teal S, Borrero S, Raine-Bennett T, Finer L. Featured research at the 2016 North American Forum on Family Planning. [Editorial]. Contraception. 2016 Oct;94(4):385-6.
- Farkas AH, Tilstra S, Borrero S, McNeil M. Establishing consensus on residency education in women’s health. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2016 Oct 12.
- Farmer GW, Blosnich JR, Jabson JM, Matthews DD. Gay acres: sexual orientation differences in health indicators among rural and nonrural individuals. Journal of Rural Health. 2016 Jun 1; 32(3):321-31.
- Foy CG, Newman JC, Berlowitz DR, Russell LP, Kimmel PL, Wadley VG, Thomas HN, Lerner AJ, Riley WT; SPRINT Study Research Group. Blood Pressure, Sexual Activity, and Dysfunction in Women With Hypertension: Baseline Findings From the Systolic Blood Pressure Intervention Trial (SPRINT). J Sex Med. 2016 Sep;13(9):1333-46.
- Freeman MA, Pleis JR, Bornemann K, Croswell E, Dew MA, Chang CH, Switzer GE, Langone A, Mittal-Henkle A, Saha S, Ramkumar M, Flohr JA, Thomas CP, Myaskovsky L. Has the Department of Veterans Affairs found a way to avoid racial disparities in the evaluation process for kidney transplantation? Transplantation. 2016 Aug 1.
- Gabler NB, Cooney E, Small DS, Troxel AB, Arnold RM, White DB, Angus DC, Loewenstein G, Volpp KG, Bryce CL, Halpern SD.Default options in advance directives: study protocol for a randomised clinical trial. BMJ Open. 2016 Jun 6;6(6):e010628.
- Gellad WF, Good CB. Prescription of brand-name medications when generic alternatives are available-patently unfair. JAMA Internal Medicine. 2016 Sep 1; 176(9):1323-1324.
- Gellad WF, Zhao X, Thorpe CT, Thorpe JM, Sileanu FE, Cashy JP, Mor M, Hale JA, Radomski T, Hausmann LR, Fine MJ, Good CB. Overlapping buprenorphine, opioid, and benzodiazepine prescriptions among Veterans dually enrolled in VA and Medicare Part D. Subst Abus. 2016 Dec 7.
- Gelman A, Rosenfeld EA, Nikolajski C, Freedman LR, Steinberg JR, Borrero S. Abortion stigma among low-income women obtaining abortions in Western Pennsylvania: a qualitative assessment. Perspect Sex Reprod Health. 2016 Dec 16.
- Gemmell LA, Terhorst L, Jhamb M, Unruh M, Myaskovsky L, Kester L, Steel J. Gender and racial differences in stress, coping, and health-related quality of life in chronic kidney disease. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2016 Dec;52(6):806-812.
- Gilbertson-White S, Sherwood P, Donovan H, King L. Use of Distress Screening To Identify Shorter Life Expectancy in Patients with Advanced Cancer Newly Referred to Palliative Care. J Palliat Med. 2016 Aug;19(8):800-1.
- Good MM, Riad FS, Good CB, Shalaby AA. Provider response to QTc prolongation on standard 12 lead EKG: do we notice or do we care? Pacing and Clinical Electrophysiology. 2016 Nov;39(11):1174-1180.
- Gordon A, Lo-Ciganic WH, Cochran G, Gellad WF, Cathers T, Donohue JM. Treatment quality for buprenorphine care: the pot at the end of the rainbow. Journal of Addictive Medicine. 2016 May-Jun;10(3):210-1.
- Gordon AJ, Saba SK. Confronting the opioid epidemic through publication, promotion, and dissemination of evidence-based addiction scholarship. Subst Abus. 2016 Jul-Sep;37(3):379-380.
- Gordon AJ. Integrating policy and research into addiction practice, AMERSA abstracts, and an appreciation to our reviewers. [Editorial]. Substance Abuse. 2016 Apr 1; 37(2):271-5.
- Graziane JA, Beer JC, Snitz BE, Chang CC, Ganguli M. Dual Trajectories of Depression and Cognition: A Longitudinal Population-Based Study. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2016 May;24(5):364-73.
- Greco CM, Yu L, Johnston KL, Dodds NE, Morone NE, Glick RM, Schneider MJ, Klem ML, McFarland CE, Lawrence S, Colditz J, Maihoefer CC, Jonas WB, Ryan ND, Pilkonis PA. Measuring nonspecific factors in treatment: item banks that assess the healthcare experience and attitudes from the patient’s perspective. Qual Life Res. 2016 Jul;25(7):1625-34.
- Haibach JP, Haibach MA, Hall KS, Masheb RM, Little MA, Shepardson RL, Dobmeyer AC, Funderburk JS, Hunter CL, Dundon M, Hausmann LR, Trynosky SK, Goodrich DE, Kilbourne AM, Knight SJ, Talcott GW, Goldstein MG. Military and Veteran health behavior research and practice: challenges and opportunities. Journal of Behavioral Medicine. 2016 Sep 27.
- Haley WE, Gilbert ON, Riley RF, Newman JC, Roumie CL, Whittle J, Kronish IM, Tamariz L, Wiggers A, Morisky DE, Conroy MB, Kovalik E, Kressin NR, Muntner P, Goff DC Jr; SPRINT Study Research Group. The association between Self-Reported Medication Adherence scores and systolic blood pressure control: a SPRINT baseline data study. J Am Soc Hypertens. 2016 Nov;10(11):857-864.e2.
- Hall DE, Feske U, Hanusa BH, Ling BS, Gao S, Switzer GE, Dobalian A, Fine MJ, Arnold RM. Prioritizing initiatives for institutional review board (IRB) quality improvement. American Journal of Bioethics (AJOB) Empirical Bioethics. 2016 May 13;7(4):256-74.
- Hall RK, Haines C, Gorbatkin SM, Schlanger L, Shaban H, Schell JO, Gurley SB, Colón-Emeric CS, Bowling CB. Incorporating Geriatric Assessment into a Nephrology Clinic: Preliminary Data from Two Models of Care. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2016 Oct;64(10):2154-2158.
- Hanmer JZ, Hess R, Sullivan SM, Yu L, Teuteberg WG, Teuteberg JJ, Kavalieratos D. Benchmarking health-related quality-of-life data from a clinical setting. Am J Managed Care. 2016 Oct;22(10):669-75.
- Hanmer J, Cherepanov D. A single question about a respondent’s perceived financial ability to pay monthly bills explains more variance in health utility scores than absolute income and assets questions. Qual Life Res. 2016 Sep;25(9):2233-7.
- Hanmer J, Kaplan RM. Update to the Report of Nationally Representative Values for the Noninstitutionalized US Adult Population for Five Health-Related Quality-of-Life Scores. Value Health. 2016 Dec;19(8):1059-1062.
- Hausmann LR, Brandt CA, Carroll CM, Fenton BT, Ibrahim SA, Becker WC, Burgess DJ, Wandner LD, Bair MJ, Goulet JL. Racial and ethnic differences in total knee arthroplasty in the Veterans Affairs Healthcare System (2001-2013). Arthritis Care & Research. 2016 Oct 27.
- Hausmann LR, Canamucio A, Gao S, Jones AL, Keddem S, Long JA, Werner R. Racial and ethnic minority concentration in Veterans Affairs facilities and delivery of patient-centered primary care. Population Health Management. 2016 Aug 30. [Epub ahead of print]
- Helgeson VS, Mascatelli K, Seltman H, Korytkowski M, Hausmann LR. Implications of supportive and unsupportive behavior for couples with newly diagnosed diabetes. Health Psychology. 2016 Oct 1; 35(10):1047-58.
- Hernandez I, Smith KJ, Zhang Y. Cost-effectiveness of non-vitamin K antagonist oral anticoagulants for stroke prevention in patients with atrial fibrillation at high risk of bleeding and normal kidney function. Thromb Res. 2016 Oct 15. [Epub ahead of print]
- Heyer CM, Sundsbak JL, Abebe KZ, Chapman AB, Torres VE, Grantham JJ, Bae KT, Schrier RW, Perrone RD, Braun WE, Steinman TI, Mrug M, Yu AS, Brosnahan G, Hopp K, Irazabal MV, Bennett WM, Flessner MF, Moore CG, Landsittel D, Harris PC; HALT PKD and CRISP Investigators. Predicted Mutation Strength of Nontruncating PKD1 Mutations Aids Genotype-Phenotype Correlations in Autosomal Dominant Polycystic Kidney Disease. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2016 Sep;27(9):2872-84.
- Holland CL, Nkumsah MA, Morrison P, Tarr JA, Rubio D, Rodriguez KL, Kraemer KL, Day N, Arnold RM, Chang JC. “Anything above marijuana takes priority”: Obstetric providers’ attitudes and counseling strategies regarding perinatal marijuana use. Patient Education and Counseling. 2016 Sep 1; 99(9):1446-51.
- Irazabal MV, Abebe KZ, Bae KT, Perrone RD, Chapman AB, Schrier RW, Yu AS, Braun WE, Steinman TI, Harris PC, Flessner MF, Torres VE; HALT Investigators. Prognostic enrichment design in clinical trials for autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease: the HALT-PKD clinical trial. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2016 Aug 2. [Epub ahead of print]
- Jacobs BL, Lopa SH, Yabes JG, Nelson JB, Barnato AE, Degenholtz HB. Association of functional status and treatment choice among older men with prostate cancer in the Medicare Advantage population. Cancer. 2016 Oct 15;122(20):3199-3206.
- Jha RM, Puccio AM, Chou SH, Chang CH, Wallisch JS, Molyneaux BJ, Zusman BE, Shutter LA, Poloyac SM, Janesko-Feldman KL, Okonkwo DO, Kochanek PM. Sulfonylurea Receptor-1: A Novel Biomarker for Cerebral Edema in Severe Traumatic Brain Injury. Crit Care Med. 2016 Nov 14. [Epub ahead of print]
- Jha RM, Puccio AM, Okonkwo DO, Zusman BE, Park SY, Wallisch J, Empey PE, Shutter LA, Clark RS, Kochanek PM, Conley YP. ABCC8 Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms are Associated with Cerebral Edema in Severe TBI. Neurocrit Care. 2016 Sep 27. [Epub ahead of print]
- Jhamb M, McNulty ML, Ingalsbe G, Childers JW, Schell J, Conroy MB, Forman DE, Hergenroeder A, Dew MA. Knowledge, barriers and facilitators of exercise in dialysis patients: a qualitative study of patients, staff and nephrologists. BMC Nephrol. 2016 Nov 24;17(1):192.
- Jiang J, Click B, Anderson AM, Koutroubakis IE, Rivers CR, Hashash JG, Dunn MA, Schwartz M, Swoger J, Barrie A, Regueiro M, Chang CC, Binion DG. Group-Based Trajectory Modeling of Healthcare Financial Charges in Inflammatory Bowel Disease: A Comprehensive Phenotype. Clin Transl Gastroenterol. 2016 Jul 14;7(7):e181.
- Johnson TJ, Winger DG, Hickey RW, Switzer GE, Miller E, Nguyen MB, Saladino RA, Hausmann LR. A comparison of physician implicit racial bias towards adults versus children. Academic Pediatrics. 2016 Sep 13. [Epub ahead of print]
- Jonassaint CR, Beach MC, Haythornthwaite JA, Bediako SM, Diener-West M, Strouse JJ, Lanzkron S, Onojobi G, Carroll CP, Haywood C Jr. The Association between Educational Attainment and Patterns of Emergency Department Utilization among Adults with Sickle Cell Disease. Int J Behav Med. 2016 Jun;23(3):300-9.
- Jonassaint CR, Jones VL, Leong S, Frierson GM. A systematic review of the association between depression and health care utilization in children and adults with sickle cell disease. Br J Haematol. 2016 Jul;174(1):136-47.
- Jones AL, Mor MK, Cashy JP, Gordon AJ, Haas GL, Schaefer JH, Hausmann LR. Racial/ethnic differences in primary care experiences in patient-centered medical homes among Veterans with mental health and substance use disorders. Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2016 Dec;31(12):1435-1443.
- Jones JR, Colditz JB, Shensa A, Sidani JE, Lin LY, Terry MA, Primack BA. Associations Between Internet-Based Professional Social Networking and Emotional Distress. Cyberpsychol Behav Soc Netw. 2016 Oct;19(10):601-608.
- Jordan AE, White PH, Patterson KR, Arnold RM. A Survey of Home Hospice Staff Knowledge of Suicide Risk Factors, Evaluation, and Management. J Palliat Med. 2016 Jul;19(7):694-5.
- Juengst SB, Switzer G, Oh BM, Arenth PM, Wagner AK. Conceptual model and cluster analysis of behavioral symptoms in two cohorts of adults with traumatic brain injuries. J Clin Exp Neuropsychol. 2016 Oct 17:1-12.
- Kabiri M, Chhatwal J, Donohue JM, Roberts MS, James AE, Dunn MA, Gellad WF. Long-term disease and economic outcomes of prior authorization criteria for Hepatitis C treatment in Pennsylvania Medicaid. Healthc (Amst). 2016 Dec 5. pii: S2213-0764(16)30214-7.
- Kamal AH, Bull J, Kavalieratos D, Nicolla JM, Roe L, Adams M, Abernethy AP. Development of the Quality Data Collection Tool for Prospective Quality Assessment and Reporting in Palliative Care. J Palliat Med. 2016 Nov;19(11):1148-1155.
- Kamal AH, Bull JH, Wolf SP, Swetz KM, Shanafelt TD, Ast K, Kavalieratos D, Sinclair CT, Abernethy AP. Prevalence and Predictors of Burnout Among Hospice and Palliative Care Clinicians in the U.S. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2016 Apr;51(4):690-6.
- Karim HT, Andreescu C, MacCloud RL, Butters MA, Reynolds CF 3rd, Aizenstein HJ, Tudorascu DL. The effects of white matter disease on the accuracy of automated segmentation. Psychiatry Res. 2016 Jul 30;253:7-14. PMID: 27254085
- Karim H, Tudorascu DL, Aizenstein H, Walker S, Good R, Andreescu C. Emotion Reactivity and Cerebrovascular Burden in Late-Life GAD: A Neuroimaging Study. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2016 Nov;24(11):1040-1050.
- Kavalieratos D, Corbelli J, Zhang D, Dionne-Odom JN, Ernecoff NC, Hanmer J, Hoydich ZP, Ikejiani DZ, Klein-Fedyshin M, Zimmermann C, Morton SC, Arnold RM, Heller L, Schenker Y. Association Between Palliative Care and Patient and Caregiver Outcomes: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. JAMA. 2016 Nov 22;316(20):2104-2114. Review.
- Received media coverage from outlets including: Reuters (https://goo.gl/ZvVj8m), Fox News (https://goo.gl/Qg42xb), STAT (Boston Globe), Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (https://goo.gl/VYCQie), and Pittsburgh Tribune Review (https://goo.gl/gJx13i).
- Kavalieratos D, Rollman BL, Arnold RM. Homeward Bound, not hospital rebound: how transitional palliative care can reduce readmission. Heart. 2016 Jul 15;102(14):1079-80.
- Kazmerski TM, Borrero S, Tuchman LK, Weiner DJ, Pilewski JM, Orenstein DM, Miller E. Provider and patient attitudes regarding sexual health in young women with cystic fibrosis. Pediatrics. 2016 Jun;137(6).
- Kazmerski TM, Gmelin T, Slocum B, Borrero S, Miller E. Attitudes and decision making related to pregnancy among young women with cystic fibrosis. Maternal and Child Health Journal. 2016 Aug 16. [Epub ahead of print]
- Kennedy AJ, Arnold RM, Childers JW. Opioids for Chronic Pain in Patients with History of Substance Use Disorders, Part 1: Assessment and Initiation #311. J Palliat Med. 2016 Aug;19(8):888-9.
- Kennedy AJ, Arnold RM, Childers JW. Opioids for Chronic Pain in Patients with History of Substance Use Disorders, Part 2: Management and Monitoring #312. J Palliat Med. 2016 Aug;19(8):890-1.
- Khalaf A, Karim H, Berkout OV, Andreescu C, Tudorascu D, Reynolds CF, Aizenstein H. Altered Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging Markers of Affective Processing During Treatment of Late-Life Depression. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2016 Oct;24(10):791-801.
- Khambaty T, Stewart JC, Gupta SK, Chang CH, Bedimo RJ, Budoff MJ, Butt AA, Crane H, Gibert CL, Leaf DA, Rimland D, Tindle HA, So-Armah KA, Justice AC, Freiberg MS. Association Between Depressive Disorders and Incident Acute Myocardial Infarction in Human Immunodeficiency Virus-Infected Adults: Veterans Aging Cohort Study. JAMA Cardiol. 2016 Nov 1;1(8):929-937.
- Khurshid K, Yabes J, Weiss PM, Dharia S, Brown L, Unruh M, Jhamb M. Effect of Antihypertensive Medications on the Severity of Obstructive Sleep Apnea: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. J Clin Sleep Med. 2016 Aug 15;12(8):1143-51.
- Kim H, Gil B, Beriwal S, Huq MS, Roberts MS, Smith KJ. Cost effectiveness analysis of stereotactic body radiation therapy compared with radiofrequency ablation for inoperable colorectal liver metastases. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2016 Jul 15;95(4):1175-1183.
- Kimport K, Dehlendorf C, Borrero S. Patient-provider conversations about sterilization: a qualitative analysis. Contraception. 2016 Nov 4.
- Koncicki HM, Unruh M, Schell JO. Pain Management in CKD: A Guide for Nephrology Providers. Am J Kidney Dis. 2016 Nov 20. [Epub ahead of print]
- Lewis J, Arora G, Tudorascu DL, Hickey RW, Saladino RA, Manole MD. Acute Management of Refractory and Unstable Pediatric Supraventricular Tachycardia. J Pediatr. 2016 Nov 22. [Epub ahead of print]
- Lim G, Landsittel DP. Effectiveness versus Efficacy of Calabadion and Sugammadex for Nondepolarizing Neuromuscular Blocking Agent Reversal. Anesthesiology. 2016 Jun;124(6):1417.
- Lo-Ciganic WH, Donohue JM, Jones BL, Perera S, Thorpe JM, Thorpe CT, Marcum ZA, Gellad WF. Trajectories of diabetes medication adherence and hospitalization risk: a retrospective cohort study in a large state Medicaid program. Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2016 Sep;31(9):1052-60.
- Lunyera J, Jonassaint C, Jonassaint J, Shah N. Attitudes of Primary Care Physicians Toward Sickle Cell Disease Care, Guidelines, and Comanaging Hydroxyurea With a Specialist. J Prim Care Community Health. 2016 Aug 9. [Epub ahead of print]
- Lyon TD, Turner RM 2nd, Yabes JG, Woldemichael E, Davies BJ, Jacobs BL, Nelson JB. Preoperative Statin Use at the Time of Radical Prostatectomy Is Not Associated With Biochemical Recurrence or Pathologic Upgrading. Urology. 2016 Nov;97:153-159.
- Marcum ZA, Bellon JE, Li J, Gellad WF, Donohue JM. New chronic disease medication prescribing by nurse practitioners, physician assistants, and primary care physicians: a cohort study. BMC Health Services Research. 2016 Jul 27;16:312.
- Marcum ZA, Gellad WF. Improving medication adherence: keep your eyes on the prize. [Editorial]. Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2016 Nov 15.
- Marcum ZA, Perera S, Thorpe JM, Switzer GE, Castle NG, Strotmeyer ES, Simonsick EM, Ayonayon HN, Phillips CL, Rubin S, Zucker-Levin AR, Bauer DC, Shorr RI, Kang Y, Gray SL, Hanlon JT, Health ABC Study. Antidepressant use and recurrent falls in community-dwelling older adults: findings from the Health ABC Study. Annals of Pharmacotherapy. 2016 Jul;50(7):525-33.
- Mazefsky CA, Day TN, Siegel M, White SW, Yu L, Pilkonis PA; Autism and Developmental Disabilities Inpatient Research Collaborative (ADDIRC). Development of the Emotion Dysregulation Inventory: A PROMIS®ing Method for Creating Sensitive and Unbiased Questionnaires for Autism Spectrum Disorder. J Autism Dev Disord. 2016 Oct 3. [Epub ahead of print]
- McDade E, Sun Z, Lee CW, Snitz B, Hughes T, Chang CC, Ganguli M. The association between pulse pressure change and cognition in late life: Age and where you start matters. Alzheimers Dement (Amst). 2016 Jun 11;4:56-66.
- McGinnis KA, Tate JP, Williams EC, Skanderson M, Bryant KJ, Gordon AJ, Kraemer KL, Maisto SA, Crystal S, Fiellin DA, Justice AC. Comparison of AUDIT-C collected via electronic medical record and self-administered research survey in HIV infected and uninfected patients. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2016 Nov 1;168:196-202.
- McGowan I, Cranston RD, Mayer KH, Febo I, Duffill K, Siegel A, Engstrom JC, Nikiforov A, Park SY, Brand RM, Jacobson C, Giguere R, Dolezal C, Frasca T, Leu CS, Schwartz JL, Carballo-Diéguez A. Project Gel a Randomized Rectal Microbicide Safety and Acceptability Study in Young Men and Transgender Women. PLoS One. 2016 Jun 30;11(6):e0158310.
- McGowan I, Dezzutti CS, Siegel A, Engstrom J, Nikiforov A, Duffill K, Shetler C, Richardson-Harman N, Abebe K, Back D, Else L, Egan D, Khoo S, Egan JE, Stall R, Williams PE, Rehman KK, Adler A, Brand RM, Chen B, Achilles S, Cranston RD. Long-acting rilpivirine as potential pre-exposure prophylaxis for HIV-1 prevention (the MWRI-01 study): an open-label, phase 1, compartmental, pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic assessment. Lancet HIV. 2016 Dec;3(12):e569-e578.
- Michaelidis CI, Fine MJ, Lin CJ, Linder JA, Nowalk MP, Shields RK, Zimmerman RK, Smith KJ. The hidden societal cost of antibiotic resistance per antibiotic prescribed in the United States: an exploratory analysis. BMC Infect Dis. 2016 Nov 8;16(1):655.
- Mitchell MA, Hedayati DO, Rodriguez KL, Gordon AJ, Broyles LM, True JG, Balbale SN, Conley JW. Logistical lessons learned in designing and executing a photo-elicitation study in the Veterans Health Administration. The Qualitative Report. 2016 Jul 16; 21(7):1303-1315.
- Mohan D, Rosengart MR, Fischhoff B, Angus DC, Farris C, Yealy DM, Wallace DJ, Barnato AE. Testing a videogame intervention to recalibrate physician heuristics in trauma triage: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. BMC Emerg Med. 2016 Nov 11;16(1):44.
- Mohan D, Schell J, Angus DC. Not Thinking Clearly? Play a Game, Seriously! JAMA. 2016 Nov 8;316(18):1867-1868.
- Myaskovsky L, Gao S, Hausmann LR, Bornemann KR, Burkitt KH, Switzer GE, Fine MJ, Phillips SL, Gater D, Spungen AM, Worobey L, Boninger ML. Quality and Equity in Wheelchairs Used by Veterans. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2016 Oct 3. [Epub ahead of print]
- Nabozny MJ, Barnato AE, Rathouz PJ, Havlena JA, Kind AJ, Ehlenbach WJ, Zhao Q, Ronk K, Smith MA, Greenberg CC, Schwarze ML. Trajectories and Prognosis of Older Patients Who Have Prolonged Mechanical Ventilation After High-Risk Surgery. Crit Care Med. 2016 Jun;44(6):1091-7.
- Naples JG, Gellad WF, Hanlon JT. The role of opioid analgesics in geriatric pain management. Clin Geriatr Med. 2016 Nov;32(4):725-735.
- Narayanan AK, Harding JD, Saba SK, Conley J, Gordon AJ. Left, right, and meeting in the middle: addressing addiction is something we can agree about. Substance Abuse. 2016 Oct-Dec;37(4):495-497.
- Nwadiuko J, James K, Switzer GE, Stern J. Giving Back: A mixed methods study of the contributions of US-Based Nigerian physicians to home country health systems. Globalization and Health. 2016 Jun 14;12(1):33.
- Palmer OM, Carter M, Chang CH, Lucko N, Jackson VM, Sun Q, Xie X, Scott M, Kellum JA, Venkat A, Yende S. Effects of Transport Temperature on the Stability of Inflammatory, Hemostasis, Endothelial Function, and Oxidative Stress Plasma Biomarker Concentrations. Shock. 2016 Nov 22. [Epub ahead of print]
- Panagioti M, Bower P, Kontopantelis E, Lovell K, Gilbody S, Waheed W, Dickens C, Archer J, Simon G,Ell K, Huffman JC, Richards DA, van der Feltz-Cornelis C, Adler DA, Bruce M, Buszewicz M, Cole MG, Davidson KW, de Jonge P, Gensichen J, Huijbregts K, Menchetti M, Patel V, Rollman B, Shaffer J, Zijlstra-Vlasveld MC, Coventry PA. Association Between Chronic Physical Conditions and the Effectiveness of Collaborative Care for Depression: An Individual Participant Data Meta-analysis. JAMA Psychiatry. 2016 Sep 1;73(9):978-89.
- Patterson PD, Smith KJ, Hostler D. Cost-effectiveness of workplace wellness to prevent cardiovascular events among U.S. firefighters. BMC Cardiovasc Disord. 2016 Nov 21;16(1):229.
- Patterson PD, Weaver MD, Landsittel DP, Krackhardt D, Hostler D, Vena JE, Hughes AM, Salas E, Yealy DM. Teammate familiarity and risk of injury in emergency medical services. Emerg Med J. 2016 Apr;33(4):280-5.
- Perrine CG, Nelson JM, Corbelli J, Scanlon KS. Lactation and Maternal Cardio-Metabolic Health. Annu Rev Nutr. 2016 Jul 17;36:627-45.
- Polsunas PJ, Sowa G, Fritz JM, Gentili A, Morone NE, Raja SN, Rodriguez E, Schmader K, Scholten JD, Weiner DK. Deconstructing Chronic Low Back Pain in the Older Adult-Step by Step Evidence and Expert-Based Recommendations for Evaluation and Treatment: Part X: Sacroiliac Joint Syndrome. Pain Med. 2016 Sep;17(9):1638-47.
- Radomski TR, Fine MJ, Gellad WF. Outcome After Admission at Veterans Affairs vs Non-Veterans Affairs Hospitals. JAMA. 2016 Jul 19;316(3):345-6.
- Ragsdale JW, Van Deusen R, Rubio D, Spagnoletti C. Recognizing Patients’ Emotions: Teaching Health Care Providers to Interpret Facial Expressions. Acad Med. 2016 Sep;91(9):1270-5.
- Rajakumar K, Moore CG, Yabes J, Olabopo F, Haralam MA, Comer D, Holick MF, Greenspan SL. Estimations of dietary vitamin D requirements in black and white children. Pediatr Res. 2016 Jul;80(1):14-20.
- Raviotta JM, Smith KJ, DePasse JV, Brown ST, Shim E, Nowalk MP, Zimmerman RK. Cost-Effectiveness and Public Health Effect of Influenza Vaccine Strategies for U.S. Elderly Adults. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2016 Oct;64(1):2126-2131.
- Razdan M, Smith KJ, Bryce CL, Degenholtz HB. Promoting organ donor registries through public education: what is the cost of securing organ donors? Transplantation. 2016 Jun;100(6):1332-1338.
- Rho M, Camacho-Soto A, Cheng A, Havran M, Morone NE, Rodriguez E, Shega J, Weiner DK. Deconstructing Chronic Low Back Pain in the Older Adult-Step by Step Evidence and Expert-Based Recommendations for Evaluation and Treatment. Part VIII: Lateral Hip and Thigh Pain. Pain Med. 2016 Jun 21. [Epub ahead of print]
- Roberts AW, Gellad WF, Skinner AC. Lock-in programs and the opioid epidemic: a call for evidence. Am J Public Health. 2016 Nov;106(11):1918-1919.
- Rockette-Wagner B, Hipwell AE, Kriska AM, Storti KL, McTigue KM. Activity Levels over Four Years in a Cohort of Urban-Dwelling Adolescent Females. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2016 Nov 21. [Epub ahead of print]
- Rogal SS, Mankaney G, Udawatta V, Chinman M, Good CB, Zickmund S, Bielefeldt K, Chidi A, Jonassaint N, Jazwinski A, Shaikh O, Hughes C, Fontes P, Humar A, DiMartini A. Pre-transplant depression is associated with length of hospitalization, discharge disposition, and survival after liver transplantation. PLoS ONE. 2016 Nov 7; 11(11):e0165517.
- Rogal S, Mankaney G, Udawatta V, Good CB, Chinman M, Zickmund S, Bielefeldt K, Jonassaint N, Jazwinski A, Shaikh O, Hughes C, Humar A, DiMartini A, Fine MJ. Association between opioid use and readmission following liver transplantation. Clinical Transplantation. 2016 Oct;30(10):1222-1229.
- Rollman BL, Belnap BH, Mazumdar S, Abebe KZ, Karp JF, Lenze EJ, Schulberg HC. Telephone-Delivered Stepped Collaborative Care for Treating Anxiety in Primary Care: A Randomized Controlled Trial. J Gen Intern Med. 2016 Oct 6. [Epub ahead of print]
- Rosenfeld EA, Marx J, Terry MA, Stall R, Pallatino C, Borrero S, Miller E. Intimate partner violence, partner notification, and expedited partner therapy: a qualitative study. International Journal of STD & AIDS. 2016 Jul;27(8):656-61.
- Ross-Cowdery M, Lewis CA, Papic M, Corbelli J, Schwarz EB. Counseling About the Maternal Health Benefits of Breastfeeding and Mothers’ Intentions to Breastfeed. Matern Child Health J. 2016 Jul 21. [Epub ahead of print]
- Rottman BM, Marcum ZA, Thorpe CT, Gellad WF. Medication adherence as a learning process: insights from cognitive psychology. Health Psychol Rev. 2016 Oct 5:1-37. [Epub ahead of print]
- Schalet BD, Pilkonis PA, Yu L, Dodds N, Johnston KL, Yount S, Riley W, Cella D. Clinical validity of PROMIS Depression, Anxiety, and Anger across diverse clinical samples. J Clin Epidemiol. 2016 May;73:119-27.
- Seaman CD, Apostolova M, Yabes J, Comer DM, Ragni MV. Prevalence and Risk Factors Associated With Hypertension in Hemophilia: Cross-Sectional Analysis of a National Discharge Register. Clin Appl Thromb Hemost. 2016 Jul 4.
- Seaman JB, Evans AC, Sciulli AM, Barnato AE, Sereika SM, Happ MB. Abstracting ICU Nursing Care Quality Data From the Electronic Health Record. West J Nurs Res. 2016 Sep 7. [Epub ahead of print]
- Sgro G, Benson M, Corbelli J, Zimmer SM. Rounds for Reflection (R4R): Enhancing the Physician-Patient Connection Through Storytelling. J Grad Med Educ. 2016 Jul;8(3):455-7.
- Shafir A, Garrigues S, Schenker Y, Leff B, Neil J, Ritchie C. Homebound patient and caregiver perceptions of quality of care in home-based primary care: a qualitative study. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2016 Aug;64(8):1622-7.
- Sharma A, Yabes J, Al Mawed S, Wu C, Stilley C, Unruh M, Jhamb M. Impact of Cognitive Function Change on Mortality in Renal Transplant and End-Stage Renal Disease Patients. Am J Nephrol. 2016;44(6):462-472.
- Shen C, Landsittel D, Irazabal MV, Yu AS, Chapman AB, Mrug M, Grantham JJ, Bae KT, Bennett WM, Flessner MF, Torres VE; CRISP Investigators. Performance of the CKD-EPI Equation to Estimate GFR in a Longitudinal Study of Autosomal Dominant Polycystic Kidney Disease. Am J Kidney Dis. 2016 Dec 24. [Epub ahead of print]
- Shim E, Brown ST, DePasse JV, Nowalk MP, Raviotta JM, Smith KJ, Zimmerman RK. Cost effectiveness of influenza vaccine for US children: live attenuated and inactivated influenza vaccine. Am J Prev Med. 2016 Sep;51(3):309-317.
- Sidani JE, Shensa A, Hoffman B, Hanmer J, Primack BA. The Association between Social Media Use and Eating Concerns among US Young Adults. J Acad Nutr Diet. 2016 Sep;116(9):1465-72.
- Slane JD, Levine MD, Borrero S, Mattocks KM, Ozier AD, Silliker N, Bathulapalli H, Brandt C, Haskell SG. Eating behaviors: prevalence, psychiatric comorbidity, and associations with body mass index among male and female Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans. Military Medicine. 2016 Nov 1; 181(11):e1650-e1656.
- Smith KJ, Handler SM, Kapoor WN, Martich GD, Reddy VK, Clark S. Automated communication tools and computer-based medication reconciliation to decrease hospital discharge medication errors. Am J Med Qual. 2016 Jul;31(4):315-322.
- Smith KJ, Kuo S, Zgibor JC, McTigue KM, Hess R, Bhargava T, Bryce CL. Cost effectiveness of an internet-delivered lifestyle intervention in primary care patients with high cardiovascular risk. Prev Med. 2016 Jun;87:103-109.
- Smith KJ, Zimmerman RK, Nowalk MP, Lin CJ. Cost-Effectiveness of the 4 Pillars Practice Transformation Program to Improve Vaccination of Adults Aged 65 and Older. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2016 Dec 26. [Epub ahead of print]
- So-Armah KA, Tate JP, Chang CH, Butt AA, Gerschenson M, Gibert CL, Leaf D, Rimland D, Rodriguez-Barradas MC, Budoff MJ, Samet JH, Kuller LH, Deeks SG, Crothers K, Tracy RP, Crane HM, Sajadi MM, Tindle HA, Justice AC, Freiberg MS; VACS Project Team. Do Biomarkers of Inflammation, Monocyte Activation, and Altered Coagulation Explain Excess Mortality Between HIV Infected and Uninfected People? J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2016 Jun 1;72(2):206-213.
- Sood P, Gao X, Mehta R, Landsittel D, Wu C, Nusrat R, Puttarajappa C, Tevar AD, Hariharan S. Kidney Transplant Outcomes After Primary, Repeat and Kidney After Nonrenal Solid Organ Transplantation: A Single-Center Experience. Transplant Direct. 2016 May 4;2(6):e75.
- Spataro BM, Tilstra SA, Rubio DM, McNeil MA. The Toxicity of Self-Blame: Sex Differences in Burnout and Coping in Internal Medicine Trainees. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2016 Nov;25(11):1147-1152.
- St-Onge MP, Grandner MA, Brown D, Conroy MB, Jean-Louis G, Coons M, Bhatt DL; American Heart Association Obesity, Behavior Change, Diabetes, and Nutrition Committees of the Council on Lifestyle and Cardiometabolic Health; Council on Cardiovascular Disease in the Young; Council on Clinical Cardiology; and Stroke Council. Sleep Duration and Quality: Impact on Lifestyle Behaviors and Cardiometabolic Health: A Scientific Statement From the American Heart Association. Circulation. 2016 Nov 1;134(18):e367-e386.
- Stein BD, Mendelsohn J, Gordon AJ, Dick AW, Burns RM, Sorbero M, Shih RA, Liccardo Pacula R. Opioid analgesic and benzodiazepine prescribing among Medicaid-enrollees with opioid use disorders: the influence of provider communities. Journal of Addictive Diseases. 2016 Jul 22;1-9. [Epub ahead of print]
- Stein BD, Sorbero M, Dick AW, Pacula RL, Burns RM, Gordon AJ. Physician capacity to treat opioid use disorder with buprenorphine-assisted treatment. JAMA. 2016 Sep 20;316(11):1211-1212.
- Stringfellow EJ, Kim TW, Gordon AJ, Pollio DE, Grucza RA, Austin EL, Johnson NK, Kertesz SG. Substance use among persons with homeless experience in primary care. Substance Abuse. 2016 Oct 1; 37(4):534-541.
- Switzer GE, Bruce J, Kiefer DM, Kobusingye H, Drexler R, Besser RM, Confer DL, Horowitz MM, King RJ, Shaw BE, van Walraven SM, Wiener L, Packman W, Varni JW, Pulsipher MA. Health-related quality of life among pediatric hematopoietic stem cell donors. Journal of Pediatrics. 2016 Nov;178:164-170.
- Tetrault JM, Tate JP, Edelman EJ, Gordon AJ, Lo Re V, Lim JK, Rimland D, Goulet J, Crystal S, Gaither JR, Gibert CL, Rodriguez-Barradas MC, Fiellin LE, Bryant K, Justice AC, Fiellin DA. Hepatic safety of buprenorphine in HIV-infected and uninfected patients with opioid use disorder: the role of HCV-infection. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment. 2016 Sep;68:62-7.
- Teuteberg W, Maurer M. Palliative Care Throughout the Journey of Life With a Left Ventricular Assist Device. Circ Heart Fail. 2016 Oct;9(10).
- Thomas HN. Capsule Commentary on Kimerling et al., Prevalence of Intimate Partner Violence among Women Veterans who Utilize Veterans Health Administration Primary Care. J Gen Intern Med. 2016 Aug;31(8):928.
- Thorpe CT, Fowler NR, Harrigan K, Zhao X, Kang Y, Hanlon JT, Gellad WF, Schleiden LJ, Thorpe JM. Racial and ethnic differences in initiation and discontinuation of antidementia drugs by Medicare beneficiaries. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 2016 Sep;64(9):1806-14.
- Thorpe JM, Thorpe CT, Gellad WF, Good CB, Hanlon JT, Mor MK, Pleis JR, Schleiden LJ, Van Houtven CH. Dual health care system use and high-risk prescribing in patients with dementia: a national cohort study. Ann Intern Med. 2016 Dec 6.
- Tindle HA, Daigh R, Reddy VK, Bailey LA, Ochs JA, Maness MH, Davis EM, Schulze AE, Powers KM, Ylioja TE, Baca HB, Mast JL, Freiberg MS; Pennsylvania eReferral Workgroup. eReferral Between Hospitals and Quitlines: An Emerging Tobacco Control Strategy. Am J Prev Med. 2016 Oct;51(4):522-6. Review.
- Torres VE, Abebe KZ, Schrier RW, Perrone RD, Chapman AB, Yu AS, Braun WE, Steinman TI, Brosnahan G, Hogan MC, Rahbari FF, Grantham JJ, Bae KT, Moore CG, Flessner MF. Dietary salt restriction is beneficial to the management of autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease. Kidney Int. 2016 Dec 16. [Epub ahead of print]
- Tucker Edmonds B, McKenzie F, Panoch JE, White DB, Barnato AE. A Pilot Study of Neonatologists’ Decision-Making Roles in Delivery Room Resuscitation Counseling for Periviable Births. AJOB Empir Bioeth. 2016 Jul;7(3):175-182.
- Tudorascu DL, Karim HT, Maronge JM, Alhilali L, Fakhran S, Aizenstein HJ, Muschelli J, Crainiceanu CM. Reproducibility and Bias in Healthy Brain Segmentation: Comparison of Two Popular Neuroimaging Platforms. Front Neurosci. 2016 Nov 9;10:503.
- Turner RM 2nd, Yabes JG, Woldemichael E, Deutsch MM, Smith RP, Werner RS, Jacobs BL, Nelson JB. Prognostic implications of immediate PSA response to early salvage radiotherapy. Can J Urol. 2016 Dec;23(6):8568-8575.
- Turner RM 2nd, Yecies TS, Yabes JG, Ristau BT, Woldemichael E, Davies BJ, Jacobs BL, Nelson JB. Biopsy Perineural Invasion in Prostate Cancer Patients Who Are Candidates for Active Surveillance by Strict and Expanded Criteria. Urology. 2016 Nov 15. [Epub ahead of print]
- Varley PR, Feske U, Gao S, Stone RA, Zhang S, Monte R, Arnold RM, Hall DE. Time required to review research protocols at 10 Veterans Affairs institutional review boards. Journal of Surgical Research. 2016 Aug;204(2):481-489.
- Vater LB, Donohue JM, Park SY, Schenker Y. Trends in Cancer Center Spending on Advertising in the United States, 2005 to 2014. JAMA Internal Medicine. 2016 Aug 1;176(8):1214-6.
- Vergidis P, Clancy CJ, Shields RK, Park SY, Wildfeuer BN, Simmons RL, Nguyen MH. Intra-Abdominal Candidiasis: The Importance of Early Source Control and Antifungal Treatment. PLoS One. 2016 Apr 28;11(4):e0153247.
- Waljee AK, Wiitala WL, Govani S, Stidham R, Saini S, Hou J, Feagins LA, Khan N, Good CB, Vijan S, Higgins PD. Corticosteroid use and complications in a US inflammatory bowel disease cohort. PLoS ONE. 2016 Jun 23;11(6):e0158017.
- Wang NC, Matthews KA, Barinas-Mitchell EJ, Chang CC, El Khoudary SR. Inflammatory/Hemostatic Biomarkers and Coronary Artery Calcium Progression in Women at Midlife (from the Study of Women’s Health Across the Nation, Heart Study). Am J Cardiol. 2016 Aug 1;118(3):311-8.
- Zgibor JC, Ye L, Boudreau RM, Conroy MB, Vander Bilt J, Rodgers EA, Schlenk EA, Jacob ME, Brandenstein J, Albert SM, Newman AB. Community-Based Healthy Aging Interventions for Older Adults with Arthritis and Multimorbidity. J Community Health. 2016 Nov 29. [Epub ahead of print]
Maggie Benson and family announced the birth of son Finn David.
Dave McAdams and family welcomed baby Copeland Pierce Thomas.
Rebecca Sands and family welcomed Wesley Glen.
Amanda Brown and family welcome twins Elliot and Spencer.
Eva Reitschuler-Cross and family are happy to announce the arrival of Sina Belle.
Rene Claxton and family are happy to announce the birth of baby Sarah.
Division of General Internal Medicine Academic Offices
UPMC Montefiore Hospital
Pittsburgh, PA 15213