Life in Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh is a vibrant city, offering affordable living, distinctive neighborhoods, and an abundance of leisure activities. Located where the Allegheny and Monongahela Rivers form the Ohio River, Pittsburgh boasts a population of over 2.6 million and combines the amenities of a large city with the friendly feel of a small town. Safe neighborhoods, excellent restaurants and clubs, and an exciting art and music scene make Pittsburgh a great place to work and play. We believe that quality of life is important, especially on a resident’s salary! Come see what Pittsburgh has to offer.
Pittsburgh tops national lists for quality of life:
- Travel magazine has named Pittsburgh one of its Best of the World for 2012.
- The Economist magazine named Pittsburgh the most livable city in the United States in 2011.
- A recent Nature article entitled “From Steel to Science” highlighted how Pittsburgh has emerged as a “knowledge economy.”
- The city was lauded in the New York Times article “For Pittsburgh, There’s Life After Steel,” in the Wall Street Journal article “Dreaming of Pittsburgh,” in the Portfolio article “Reborn Pittsburgh’s Morning in the Sun,” and on NPR’s All Things Considered, and recently, on the Huffington Post’s “Living Well, On Location“.
- “At the heart of the revitalization is UPMC.… Health care and higher education have replaced steel as the city’s economic engine.”—Steve Hamm, BusinessWeek
Division of General Internal Medicine Academic Offices
UPMC Montefiore Hospital
Pittsburgh, PA 15213