Medicine Grand Rounds
The Department of Medicine hosts local faculty and outstanding regional or national leaders in their respective fields, who present on a range of topics in weekly grand rounds that represent all of the department’s subspecialties. Each year, the Medicine Grand Rounds schedule offers presentations in a variety of formats. These presentations are designed for our faculty, residents, fellows, other healthcare professionals, and researchers who wish to remain up to date on new science in their field and to encourage collaboration among scientists and physicians. Medicine Grand Rounds are held weekly at 12pm in the LHAS auditorium. Attendees can receive CME credit.
Grand Rounds Formats:
- Discovery – Focused on major scientific discoveries and their impact on the future of medicine and health. The process of discovery, including historical background, will be emphasized with a conclusion highlighting future implications in the field.
- Specialty Year in Review – Each Division will review hot topics and landmark papers over the past year.
- Spotlight Series – Each Division will organize a session focusing on the translation of basic discoveries to the bedside or population. In each session, one speaker will discuss basic or translational research findings and another will focus on the clinical applications of the science.
- Leaders in Medicine – The Chief Residents, in collaboration with the Department Chair, will select and invite prominent outside speakers. When possible, additional “meet the professor” or “rock star” sessions will be held for house staff groups.
- Named Lecture Series – The Department and individual Divisions support a number of named lectures each year. Organizers from sponsoring Divisions will work with the Chief Residents to select these featured lectureship recipients.
- Point – Counterpoint – Two controversial topics are chosen for the annual Health Policy Debate and Med-Ed Debate. These moderated debates between two speakers are among the most popular Grand Rounds of the year.
- Senior Resident Talks – The last Grand Rounds of the year is reserved fro two selected senior talks from the graduating residency class. These speakers are selected by a committee within the residency and honored at the Senior Banquet.
In the summer, Grand Rounds is replaced by resident lecture series and intern “boot camp lectures.”
All Grand Rounds conferences are listed in our Departmental Calendar.