Institute for Doctor-Patient Communication
The Institute for Doctor-Patient Communication has the following goals:
- Provide junior investigators who are interested in doctor-patient communication with career support through activities such as mentoring, reviewing grant proposals and manuscripts, and offering feedback on presentations of work in progress.
- Form a network of investigators within and outside of the University of Pittsburgh community from which collaborative groups can develop.
- Help individuals develop expertise in methodologies and approaches to doctor-patient communication.
- House and maintain an audiotape registry from which studies on doctor-patient communication can be accessed.
- Provide resources and support to facilitate the performance of preliminary studies by core and affiliate members of the institute.
- Improve education in doctor-patient communication skills across all 4 years of the medical school curriculum.
- Develop and implement criteria to assess doctor-patient communication skills in the required evaluation of medical students.
- Collect resources and examples of best practices and techniques for teaching doctor-patient communication.
Division of General Internal Medicine Academic Offices
UPMC Montefiore Hospital
Pittsburgh, PA 15213